Sick Note

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.


Evidence that you are sick

A medical fit note has replaced the sick note. It is not required for the first seven days of sickness.

You covered by Self Certification Form SC2

This form is used by an employee to provide their employer with details of sick absences of 4 or more days in a row. GP's are not obliged to issue fit notes for periods of sickness of less than seven days duration.

If you are likely to be off work for longer than seven days, you will need to see a doctor to ask for a fitnote. If you require a repeat fit note, please ask the reception staff as you may not require an appointment for this.

Request for Continuation Sick Note


Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced).


Child Off School

When your child is off school or nursery with a sickness it can be extremely confusing knowing how long to keep your child off for.

The Health Protection Agency has produced guidelines to help you know when it is safe for you to let your child go back to school or nursery.

Guidance notes on infection control in schools and other childcare settings

Examinations and sickness certificates

  • It should be noted that GPs do not provide sick notes for school children.
  • When children are absent from school owing to illness, schools may request a letter from a parent or guardian, and this is no different during an exam period.
  • However, children who have missed exams due to illness are frequently told by schools that a note from a doctor is required; but this cannot be provided by a GP.
  • Aside from the fact that parents/guardians are responsible for excusing their children from school, GPs cannot provide retrospective sickness certification.
  • When a child suffers from a long-term condition, any certification will be provided by the responsible specialist.

General Practitioners Committee (GPC) has sought and received confirmation from the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator that Awarding Organisations make no requirement for pupils to obtain a medical certificate in support of their application for special consideration. Students are asked for information in support of their application, but this may take the form of a statement by the school. The Joint Council for Qualifications has confirmed that as far as they are concerned, if a student was absent from an examination as a result of illness and has the support of the school or centre to be absent, special consideration will be granted on that basis. Awarding organisations do not insist that medical proof is provided.

Supporting pupils with medical conditions at school